The SVP Public Relations conceives, plans and directs the full scope of TV One’s communications and public relations strategies, including corporate communications, program publicity, media relations, public affairs, talent relations, social media initiatives, viewers services, and investor relations. This position is responsible for working with senior management to develop positive messaging priorities about the company and its activity, and securing placement of that messaging in appropriate consumer, trade, business and new media outlets. This position oversees the development and implementation of publicity and communications strategies that utilize all media platforms and outlets – including traditional print and electronic and new media — as appropriate to increase the external awareness and positive profile of the company and the activity across all of its departments and businesses. In addition, this position is responsible for assisting and directing senior executives in all media relations interface and activity, and in securing participation in industry events as appropriate. This position also serves as primary spokesperson to and chief contact for all media on behalf of the company and its activity. The Senior Vice President is accountable for the department’s operating budget and has full oversight of the department’s staffing and development, managing and directing the staff of professionals in the execution of all communications activity on behalf of the Company.
- Leads all department functions; plans, develops and executes operating budgets; directs Public Relations and Communication executives and oversees staff, staff development, performance and provides strategic direction, guidance and input in primary areas of department’s responsibility including program publicity, corporate relations, public relations, talent relations, public affairs, social media initiatives and viewer services.
- Provides senior management with strategic media and public relations guidance and direction.
- Provides strategic guidance and tactical assistance to executives in preparation for media events and interviews.
- Serves as key interface with other department leaders to determine the best strategies print and electronic media management.
- Consults with senior management in order to maximize potential of network’s programming performance and operation as well as for development of new business opportunities.
- Serves as primary spokesperson for network in print and electronic media representations and at public affairs activities and on public relations issues.
- Oversees and maximizes corporate involvement in related trade shows, industry and civic organizations and industry functions.
- Consults with senior leadership to develop and execute strategies for increasing the profile and perception of Company – including its executives, programming, talent, and public affairs activities – within the media, industry, government and other pertinent public constituents.
- Determines and/or creates opportunities to increase Company’s profile through participation in key media coverage, industry functions, press conferences, media and civic screenings and public affairs activities.
- Ensures that the department provides thorough and current information regarding Company and related operations and programming to outside constituents in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Ability to lead Public Relations/Communications functions for a network(s).
- Knowledge of executing organizational short and long-term media strategies.
- Experience in planning, executing performance against operating budgets.
- Demonstrated leadership and business acumen.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent reputation within the industry and media.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and direct a team.
- Solid and broad media contacts within the consumer, business and trade media
- Demonstrated ability to guide executives as well as direct reports.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, have an excellent ability to set priorities, and demonstrate ease in being nimble as work needs arise.
- Legal right to work in the United States
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree and 15 years of experience in Public Relations/Communications industry is strongly preferred.