by Krystal Franklin
February 22, 2018
Photo courtesy of WFAA Facebook
Last year, Demetria Obilor, Dallas’ newest traffic anchor made quite the storm on social media when a viewer complained of her curvy figure and natural hair. Obilor, who we affectionately call #AnchorBae, sounded off on a much needed conversation about the way black women’s bodies are often sexualized against those of their white counterparts.
Obilor’s incredible response to the body shamer caught the eye of Chance The Rapper and Gabrielle Union (the actress even gifted the anchor with her New York & Company collection) but the inspiration didn’t stop there. This week Obilor caught wind of a tiny fan and brought the toddler and her parents on set to talk all things natural hair.
Watch Karsyn, her mom and Demetria talk about the importance of representation and the dos and dont’s for natural hair below.
We salute Demetria for her uninhibited boldness, unapologetic blackness and being an inspiration to all of us!
Anchor Bae Appreciation! 19 African American Female Journalists We Love
19 photos Launch gallery
1. Nothing mutual about my funds tho 👌🏽
1 of 19
2. Good Morning Sunshine! 😉☀️🌼⭐️💛 💫
2 of 19
3. Channeled the Mother Land on the show today. 🌍 S/O to @stephaniebijoux for the Nigerian-inspired "Color Block Spike" necklace. 🇳🇬.#Nigeria #AfricaRising #Africa #MotherLand #jewelry #BlackGirlsRock #BlackGirlMagic
3 of 19
4. Dress: @lapetiterobemiHair: @armond_styleMUA: @venusgoddessangelfairy444
4 of 19
5. My attempt to stay warm in Columbus failed miserably❄️❄️❄️
5 of 19
6. Thanks to @blackivybrand & @khalidalbaih for the t-shirt. Perfect day to wear it being that it’s @kaepernick7’s birthday today. Just 30 years old and already in history books!
6 of 19
7. Okay okay okay... full dress time!! MAJOR thanks to @heiress_house for this custom design! I feel like a princess
7 of 19
8. Short sleeved 🤦🏽♀️ what was I thinking? Oh well, see ya at 10! 🤷🏽♀️
8 of 19
9. A year ago, my team and I traveled to upstate #newyork to investigate the death of a 12-year-old boy. Tonight, hear and see what we learned. #deadlinecrime starts in one hour @investigationdiscovery
9 of 19
10. Set up and ready to receive donations for my home state of TX!! Will YOU be a #HolleysHelper ?You can see it right outside of our studio window here at 4th and Market. 7-10AM. (See previous post for other locations)
10 of 19
11. Reid The Runway || Dress: @carmenmarcvalvo Hair: @angiemlorenzo Blessed by: #God @newyorklivetv @thehubtoday #reidtherunway
11 of 19
12. I never know what to do with my hands. 💃🏿@catherinemalandrinoofficial. 💇🏽@tasha_muah 💄@fabiolamercadobeauty
12 of 19
13. yup. walking into the weekend like...💕
13 of 19
14. #Knowlesitall #ootd #lbd #myRTR
14 of 19
15. Look who I found in the sea of faces at Catch!
15 of 19
16. Wrapped up my last early voting live shot for the day! Just under 14 Days until #ElectionDay. 🇺🇸
16 of 19
17. Diggin' my shorter & lighter hair.
17 of 19
18. Shining even when the sun won't ✨✨ #Monday
18 of 19
19 of 19
Like TV One on Facebook and be sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter.